Blogger Backgrounds

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Gaze

For my fashion brief I looked at how fashion magazines and advertisements pose their models and I noticed that men seem to look away from the camera where as women look directly at it.

Leonardo Da Vincis Mona Lisa was the turning point of how women were seen. Up until then they were passive poses and adverted gazes.



In John Berger's ways of seeing he insisted that women were still ‘depicted in a different way to men - because the "ideal" spectator is always assumed to be male and the image of the woman is designed to flatter him’ therefore advertisers 



Taking this into account I decided experiment with male fashion and how to pose them.
Here are some of my images as a example of how men look away from the camera.

 



 




Examples of my own images 'The gaze'







0 comments: